A (FREE) PREMIUM P&W HELIX PATCH FROM WORSHIP TUTORIALS BASED ON THE AC30 FAWN AMP MODEL & PREMIUM IR CABS, PLUS THE NEW POLYPHONIC PITCH EFFECTS FROM FW 3.0
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR Cab from our AC Blue IR pack. We matched these specific IRs to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here is the IR included:
- WT Blue AC 2×12 7b+160
With Firmware 2.90, Helix should recall the IR based on its name rather than slot number, so it shouldn’t matter which slot you import the IR into. To purchase additional IR packs, visit Worship Tutorials.
This download includes three patches as well as the IR cabs. The patches are:
- AC30 Pitch WT IR – This patch uses the IR cabs and is meant for guitars with single coils or low output humbuckers
- AC30 Pitch WT HB – This patch uses the IR cabs and is meant for guitars with more traditionally voiced humbuckers
- AC30 Pitch WT – This patch uses stock Helix cabs rather than IR’s (uses the single coil settings)
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the an open slot.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Poly Pitch – Mapped to switch labeled ‘PLYPitch Ramp Up’
- Heir Apparent – KOT Drive – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT Yellow’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Volume – mapped to EXP2
- Amp – AC30 Fawn Nrm
- Cali Graphic EQ – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 Tape’
- Adriatic Delay – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d Adri’
- Dual Delay – 8TH note delay + Dotted 8th – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dual ST DLY’
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Plate Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Glitz Verb”
- Looper (6 switch) – mapped to button labeled ‘Looper’. If you prefer the 1-button looper, feel free to substitute it – just make sure to use the stereo version.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive.
- Snapshot 4: P&W LEAD: Big drive with delay and lots of verb. This is a typical P&W style drive.
- Snapshot 5: CLEAN AMBI – Clean tone with big reverb.
- Snapshot 6: AMBI DRIVE – Rhythm/drive tone with big reverb
- Snapshot 7:ROCK RHY – Overdrive without a ton of wet effects. Sometimes you need some dad-rock in your life.
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the dual delay block runs in stereo. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
AMP GAIN BUTTON:
The ‘AMP GAIN’ button adjusts the level of gain on the amp. This gives you a true amp overdrive tone without the use of dirt pedals. If the base patch is too dirty for your preference, adjust the ‘Min Drive’ and ‘Max Drive’ settings on this button to suite your needs. The ‘Min Drive’ settings is when the button is off, and the ‘Max Drive’ setting is when the button is on.
Feel free to stack drive pedals (and the AMP GAIN button) for bigger sounds.
Hit the ‘Swells’ button to turn on the Cosmos echo with big ambient reverb and shimmer.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Cali Q Graphic block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
We’ve included both single coil and humbucker voiced patches to serve as starting points for your guitars. To make adjustments, we recommend starting with these parameters:
- Amp Gain: Adjust the min/max values of the amp gain so that your guitar is slightly breaking up with big chords on the bridge position (without any drive pedals on)
- Amp EQ controls: Adjust these to suite your individual guitars/taste
- Cali Q Graphic EQ block: This is a simple way to adjust the overall tonal characteristics of the patch.
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
FAVORITE EFFECTS FILES
This download also includes a collection of effects ‘Favorites’
This firmware 3.0, Line 6 has introduced the ‘Favorites’ feature. This allows you to save individual effects that can be recalled in any patch. This download includes a collection of our favorite effects and settings – compression, delays, reverbs, drives, modulation, and pitch effects. You can import these ‘favorites’ into your hardware and then use them in any patch.
Reverbs and delays are dialed in to be used post (after) the amp/cab blocks. If you use them in front of an amp block, you will probably want to adjust the mix parameters.
We hope you love using these effects as much as we do – have fun!
HOW TO IMPORT THESE FAVORITES
- Connect your Helix/Stomp/HX Effects to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6 (version 3.0 or higher)
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the files (.fav) into the ‘Favorites’ (on the top left side)
- You can now add these favorites into any patch you’d like
- NOTE: If the effect is grayed out in HX effects, it means you do not have enough available DSP to add it to the patch.
- ‘DLX Comp Subtle’ – Deluxe Comp set for subtle compression
- ‘KOT – Yellow’ – Heir Apparent (Prince of Tone) set to mimic Bradford’s King of Tone, yellow side
- ‘808 – Push’ – Scream 808 – Tube screamer set to push an amp or other drives into more overdrive
- ‘Chorus – L6 ST’ – Chorus – Stereo chorus
- ‘Trem ST’ – Stereo tremolo
- ‘1/8d Vintage Dig – Vintage Digital – dotted 8th delay (in stereo)
- ‘1/8d+1/8 Dual’ – Dual delay – 1/8th note and dotted 8th note in stereo
- ‘Plate Basic’ – Plate Verb (legacy) – subtle plate reverb in stereo
- ‘Glitz Cloud’ – Glitz Verb – Ambient cloud type reverb in stereo
- ‘Dual Pitch POG’ – Dual Pitch (monophonic) – POG type setting
- ‘PLYPitch Ramp Up’ – Poly Pitch – Octave up poly pitch with ramp up/down
- ‘Poly Pitch Up’ – Poly Pitch – Octave up poly pitch without ramping
- ‘Pitch Up Subtle’ – Poly Pitch – Octave up poly pitch without ramping, less mix
- ‘Poly Whammy +12’ – Poly Whammy, +12 steps
- ‘Poly Whammy +5’ – Poly Whammy. +5 steps
Initial Release (1.0): 2020-11-19