1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. IR CABS INCLUDED: This download includes two premium IR cabs from our Bog Duende G12H30 pack. We matched these specific IRs to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here is the IR included:
- WT Match G12H30 SR25+160 (top row)
- WT 60s AC Silver 160 (bottom row)
With Firmware 2.90 and after, Helix should recall the IR based on its name rather than slot number, so it shouldn’t matter which slot you import the IR into.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the an open slot.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
This patch is designed to be used in Snapshot mode. To enable this mode in your Helix, go to the ‘Footswitches’ section of the Global Settings and select ‘8 Snapshots’ in the ‘Preset Mode Switches’ menu. Here are the snapshots:
- SNAPSHOT 1: TURN/RIFF. This is the riff in the turn-around section.
- SNAPSHOT 2: CH1/SWELLS. Ambient swells.
- SNAPSHOT 3: VS2/PC. Clean tone for the 2nd verse/pre-chorus.
- SNAPSHOT 4: CH/BR BIG. Big rhythm tone.
- SNAPSHOT 5: INST. Clean-ish tone with tremolo for the instrumental .
- SNAPSHOT 6: INS/CH BLD. Big rhythm tone.
- SNAPSHOT 7: NOT USED
- SNAPSHOT 8: AMBI CLEAN. It’s here if you need it.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Heir Apparent – Prince of Tone (voiced to sound like Bradford’s KOT, Yellow side) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT-Yellow’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer – mapped to button labeled ‘808’
- Volume – mapped to EXP 2
- Vintage Digital – 1/4 delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Amps – Fullerton Jumped and AC Fawn Brt
- Cabs/IR’s – see above for IR info
- Cali Q Graphic – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
- Tremolo/Autopan – mapped to button labeled ’Tremolo’
- Mod/Chorus Echo – dotted 8th Delay (subtle) – mapped to switch labeled ‘.8th Delay’
- ’Plate – subtle plate reverb – mapped to a switch labeled ‘Plate Verb’
- Dual Delay (1/8d + quarter) – mapped to switch labeled ‘DUAL ST DLY’
- Glitz Verb – Ambient reverb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Glitz Verb
- Dynamic Hall – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “SWELLS Verb”
AMP GAIN BUTTON
We have mapped the ‘Drive’ parameter of the amp block to a button labeled ‘AMP GAIN’. Pressing this button will turn the gain up (and the bass down a bit). This gives you a pure amp overdrive, which sounds awesome. You can stack this with the drive pedals for big drive sounds.
This patch is meant to be used in Snapshot mode, but can be used in stomp box mode as well. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps. The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
The amps (and everything after them) are in stereo. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds. All three one at once will give you a lead/solo tone.
Hit the ‘Swells’ button to turn on the Multitap delay with big ambient reverb.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Cali Q Graphic block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
We’ve included both single coil and humbucker voiced patches to serve as starting points for your guitars. To make adjustments, we recommend starting with these parameters:
- Amp Gain: Adjust the min/max values of the amp gain so that your guitar is slightly breaking up with big chords on the bridge position (without any drive pedals on)
- Amp EQ controls: Adjust these to suite your individual guitars/taste
- Cali Q Graphic EQ block: This is a simple way to adjust the overall tonal characteristics of the patch.
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Version 2.0: 2021-06-10
- Changed: Added WT IR cabs
- Changed: Amp and EQ settings (better tone)
- Added: Dynamic Hall reverb
Initial Release (Version 1.0): 2019-09-11