This demo is for the Acoustic Helix patch. The HX Effects patch contains the same base elements – see below for exactly what is included in the HX Effects version.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your HX Effects and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. This patch is designed to be used with an acoustic guitar with pickups installed (it’s not meant to simulate an acoustic with the use of an electric guitar). We’ve included various effects and features found in many acoustic pre-amps, as well as creative effects often used with acoustic guitar.
4. This patch will only work with HX Effects. It will not work with other Line 6 products (Helix, HX Stomp, etc).
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
- LA Studio Comp – not mapped to a switch
- Vintage Digital Delay – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dotted 8th DLY’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Quarter DLY’
- Plate verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Plate Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Big Verb (Mod)”
- Cosmos Echo – Space Echo delay – big ambient delay mapped to switch labeled “Swells’’
- Octo Verb – Shimmer – mapped to switch labeled “Swells’’
- Searchlights Verb – Big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Swells’’
- Cali Q Graphic – not mapped to a switch
This patch can is designed to be used in ‘stompbox’ mode – snapshots are not set up.
Delay: You have two delays at your feet – ¼ note and dotted 1/8th note. Use these as you would traditional delays.
Reverb: For Reverbs, you have two options at your feet – Plate, and Big Verb (Mod). The plate verb is your ‘normal’ always on kind of verb – it will give your guitar a sense of space.
The Big/Mod verb is the Glitz reverb, and it sounds pretty huge. It will work well for more intimate songs where you want to fill up a lot of space. If you’re in a larger band setting and are a rhythm acoustic player, this will make your guitar disappear in the mix, so use with caution.
Ambient Swells: The ‘Swells’ button will engage three effects – a big ambient delay and two reverbs. It is meant to be use with volume swells, and you can basically create Pads with acoustic. If your volume is up and you play or strum, you’ll create a huge sonic mess (which is something you may want), so try this with volume swells first