In this demo Bradford is using a Shelton Electric Instruments SkyFlite IV.
This video is a demo of the original version of this patch. The updated version sounds significantly better. We’ll have a new demo up soon! The notes below describe what you get in the updated version.
A MATCHLESS DC30 HELIX PATCH PERFECTLY SUITED FOR MODERN WORSHIP MUSIC. INCLUDES PREMIUM IR’S
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. IR CABS INCLUDED: This download includes two premium IR Cabs from our MATCH G12H30 pack. We matched these specific IRs to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IRs – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here are the IR’s included:
- WT Match G12H30 160 (top row)
- WT Blue AC 2×12 SR25 (bottom row)
With Firmware 2.90, Helix should recall the IR based on its name rather than slot number, so it shouldn’t matter which slot you import the IR into. To purchase additional IR packs, visit Worship Tutorials.
This download includes two patches as well as the IR cabs. The patches are:
- MATCHLESS WT IR – This patch uses the IR cabs and is meant for guitars with single coils or low output humbuckers
- MATCHLESS WT HB – This patch uses the IR cabs and is meant for guitars with more traditionally voiced humbuckers
- MATCHLESS WT – This patch uses stock Helix cabs rather than IR’s (uses the single coil settings)
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the an open slot.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Dual Pitch – POG effect – not mapped to a switch (used in Snapshots)
- Minotaur – Klon OD – Not mapped to a switch (feel free to use this in place of one of the other drives if you prefer it)
- Heir Apparent – King of Tone Drive – mapped to switch labeled ‘Heir Apparent’
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Amp – Matchstick Ch1
- Cab/IR’s – see above for IR info
- Cali Q Graphic – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls. See below for recommended settings.
- Tremolo – Mapped to a switch labeled ‘Tremolo’
- Chorus – Mapped to a switch labeled ‘Chorus’
- Transistor Tape Delay – Quarter note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/4 DLY’
- Adriatic Delay – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d Adri’
- Transistor Tape – Dual Stereo delay (1/8+1/8d) – mapped to a switch labeled ‘Dual DLY Tape)
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Plate Verb’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Cloud Verb”
- Glitz Verb – big ambient verb – Used in the Swells snapshot
AMP GAIN BUTTON
We have mapped the ‘CH1 Drive’ and Bass’ parameters of the amp block to a button labeled ‘AMP GAIN’. Pressing this button will turn the gain up (and the bass down a bit). This gives you a pure amp overdrive, which sounds awesome. You can stack this with the drive pedals for big drive sounds.
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the amp block runs in stereo. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds. All three one at once will give you a lead/solo tone. We’ve included three drive pedal options for you, but only two are assigned to foot switches. Feel free to assign your favorites.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive (uses the amp gain switch)
- Snapshot 4: LEAD: Big drive with big delay and verb (uses the amp gain switch)
- Snapshot 5: CLEAN AMBI – Clean tone with big reverb.
- Snapshot 6: CLEAN CHOR – Clean tone from the 80’s with chorus
- Snapshot 7: POG LEAD – Like the P&W Lead but with POG
- Snapshot 8: BIG SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
We’ve included both single coil and humbucker voiced patches to serve as starting points for your guitars. To make adjustments, we recommend starting with these parameters:
- Amp Gain: Adjust the min/max values of the amp gain so that your guitar is slightly breaking up with big chords on the bridge position (without any drive pedals on)
- Amp EQ controls: Adjust these to suite your individual guitars/taste
- Cali Q Graphic EQ block: This is a simple way to adjust the overall tonal characteristics of the patch.
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
CURRENT VERSION: 4.0 (released 9/25/20)
Version 5.0: Jan 1, 2021
- Added: Premium Worship Tutorials IR cabs
- Subtle tweaks to amp and EQ settings (better tone)
Version 3.0: Updated Sept 25, 2020
- Added: Dual Pitch block
- Added: Heir Apparent drive block
- Added: Chorus block
- Added: Amp Gain button
- Changed: Amp settings (better tone)
- Changed: Delay/Reverb settings (better tone)
- Changed: Snapshots (better tones and versatility)
- Changed: EQ settings (better tone)
Version 3.0: Updated Oct 22, 2018
- Added: Tone Junkie IR (included for free)
- Tweaked: Amp, drive, and EQ tone
Version 2.0: Updated Oct 22, 2018
- Updated: Amp settings (better tone)
- Updated: Drive section (better tone and stacking)
- Added: Improved swells/ambient section
- Added: Stereo – everything after the amp/cab block runs in stereo
- Added: End of chain EQ – improved tone and tweaking for different guitars
- Added: ‘IR’ version of the patch voiced for Live Ready Sound IR’s
- Added: Recommended settings for humbucker and single coil equipped guitars (via the ReadMe notes)
Version 1.2: Updated 7/6/2017
- Fixed: reverb levels to compensate for Helix firmware 2.6
- Added: ‘Unity gain’ version of the patch (meant to be used with the big volume knob at 100%)
Version 1.1: Updated 2/12/2017
- Added: HX reverbs that released with Helix firmware 2.5
Version 1.0: Initial Release: 12/15/2017
Updates are free and delivered via email. If you have an older version of this patch and have not received updates via email, please send us a support email and we’ll get the updated patch files to you.