In this demo Brian is playing a Shelton SkyFlite IV with Porter pickups. This demo is showcasing Version 1.0 of this patch. See below for the updates and improvements we’ve made since the initial release.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. IR CABS INCLUDED: This download includes two premium IR Cabs from our Blue AC 2×12 pack. We matched these specific IRs to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IRs – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here are the IR’s included:
- WT Blue AC 2×12 57 (top row)
- WTMatch G12H30 121 (bottom row)
With Firmware 2.90, Helix should recall the IR based on its name rather than slot number, so it shouldn’t matter which slot you import the IR into. To purchase additional IR packs, visit Worship Tutorials.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into an open slot.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
This patch is designed to be used in Snapshot mode. To enable this mode in your Helix, go to the ‘Footswitches’ section of the Global Settings and select ‘8 Snapshots’ in the ‘Preset Mode Switches’ menu. Here are the snapshots:
- SNAPSHOT 1: INTRO/VS. Clean tone with delay and verb.
- SNAPSHOT 2: CHORUS 1. Similar to snapshot 1 – less delay.
- SNAPSHOT 3: VS PUSH. Bit more drive than Snap 1.
- SNAPSHOT 4: CH BIG. Main rhythm crunch tone.
- SNAPSHOT 5: SOLO. Lead tone for the solo.
- SNAPSHOT 6: BRIDGE. Big rhythm tone
- SNAPSHOT 7: BRIDGE PUSH. Little more gain than snap 7.
- SNAPSHOT 8: SWELLS: This tone isn’t technically in the song, but it’s nice to have avaialable.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Teemah – Timmy OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Timmy’
- Heir Apparent – KOT OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT’ (this replaces the Plexi preamp in the previous versions of this patch – we feel like it works better for that sound of drive
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Transistor Tape Delay – 1/8 note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8 Tape’
- Dual Delay – Dual stereo delay (1/4 + 1/8d) – mapped to switch labeled Dual ST DLY
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Plate Verb’
- Transistor Tape – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d Tape’
- Searchlights Verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Swells Verb ’
- Amps – AC30 Fawn Nrm, Matchstick Ch1
- IR/Stock cabs
- Octo Verb – Mapped to switch labeled ‘Shimmer’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Glitz Verb’
- Gain – this gives you a pure volume boost for solos.
This patch is meant to be used in stompbox mode or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps. The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
The amps are panned hard Left and Right, which gives you a unique (and huge) tone if you are able to run stereo. Many of the wet effects run into the front of the amps.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds. We voiced the two Heir Apparent blocks to sound like Bradford’s King of Tone settings.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
We’ve included both single coil and humbucker voiced patches to serve as starting points for your guitars. To make adjustments, we recommend starting with these parameters:
- Amp Gain: Adjust the min/max values of the amp gain so that your guitar is slightly breaking up with big chords on the bridge position (without any drive pedals on)
- Amp EQ controls: Adjust these to suite your individual guitars/taste
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
Version 4.0: 2021-01-07
- Patch re-built using the Hillsong patch with WT IR cabs
Version 3.0: 2019-10-03
- Changed: Drive blocks (added new drives from the 2.80 firmware)
- Changed: Amp blocks (using the Fullerton and AC30 amps in stereo)
- Changed: Reverb and delay settings (better tone and stereo spread)
- Changed: End of chain EQ
- Added: Tone Junkie IR’s (free)
Version 2.0: 2019-02-27
This is a complete overhaul of this patch
- Added: New HX Reverbs from firmware 2.5
- Added: End of chain EQ
- Added: Suggested settings for single coils and humbuckers (via the ReadMe file)
- Added: Stereo (amps and wet effects are all in stereo)
- Changed: Amp settings – better tone
- Improved: Drive block settings
- Improved: Swells blocks settings
- Changed: Output level has been adjusted – we suggest running your Helix with the big volume knob at 100% (unity gain)
- Changed: IR cab suggestion – using an IR from the same IR pack as the rest of our updated patches
Initial Release: 2017-09-30