A (FREE) PREMIUM P&W HELIX PATCH FOR THE ULTIMATE IN AMBIENCE
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. REVERBS: The 2.6 Firmware update changed the mix levels of the new (HX) reverbs. This patch accounts for those changes, so if you are not updated to 2.6 or later on your Helix, the reverbs will not sound right.
3. IR CAB INCLUDED: This download includes a premium IR from Tone Junkie. We matched this specific IR to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IR – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here is the specific IR included, and it’s location in our Helix:
- TJ 13 GOLD R121+7B . In our Helix, it’s in IR slot 13 (this will always correspond with the number after ‘TJ’ in the file name).Here is the specific IR included, and it’s location in our Helix:
To purchase more IR packs, visit the Tone Junkie store here: https://tonejunkiestore.com/
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the appropriate slot (see note above). The image below shows the specific IR location for this patch.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Heir Apparent – KOT – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT RED’ (voiced to sound like Bradford’s King of Tone drive)
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Amp – AC30 Fawn Nrm
- Cab/IR – 2×12 Match G25 (in the stock cab versions) – see above for IR info
- Vintage Swell – used in ‘AutoSwell’ snapshot
- Reverse Delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Reverse Delay’
- Adriatic Swell – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dual El Cap’ (voiced to sound like Bradford’s El Cap delay)
- Cosmos Echo – huge ambient delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘Cosmos Echo’
- Tremolo – mapped to switch labeled ‘Tremolo’
- Double Tank – mapped to switch labeled ‘Ghost Verb’ (voiced to sound like Bradford’s favorite Empress Reverb sound)
- Glitz – mapped to switch labeled ‘Glitz’
- Searchlights Verb – mapped top switch labeled ‘Searchlights’
- Octo Verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Shimmer’
- Cali Q Graphic
- Looper – mapped to switch labeled ‘Looper’
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: BasicSwell. Basic (but huge) ambient swells
- Snapshot 2: SHIMMER. Adds the Octo verb
- Snapshot 3: TremSwell: Adds the tremolo
- Snapshot 4: DirtySwell: Adds the drive
- Snapshot 5: Auto Swell – Turns on the auto-swell block
- Snapshot 6: Not used
- Snapshot 7:Not Used
- Snapshot 8: Ambi Clean – Ambient clean tone
DO NOT STRUM BIG CHORDS WITH THE VOLUME UP 🙂
As its name implies, this patch is meant to be used for volume swells. If you strum a big chord with the volume up, it will sound like a hot mess. Use the volume pedal to swell in.
The AutoSwell snapshot uses the Vintage Swell (autoswell) effect block. This lets you essentially play swells without using the volume pedal. How hard you strike the strings will affect how well the autos well effect works.
We recommend adjusting the ‘Threshold’ parameter to suite the effect to your playing style. The harder you strike the strings, the lower the threshold needs to be.
SHIIMER, DRIVE, and TREMOLO:
We’ve included these effects to give you different textures in your swells. Feel free to experiment with them (along with the tone control and pickup position on your guitar) for different swell sounds.
REVERBS and DELAYS:
We’ve layered multiple different reverbs and delays into this patch to give the swells character and ambiance. For really basic swells, try using just the Cosmos Echo and Searchlights (or any of the other reverbs). We recommend leaving them all on for the most ambiance.
EQ AT THE END OF THE CHAIN?:
Typically when you record guitar parts in the studio, you’ll put EQ and compression on the final tone. We’ve replicated the EQ in this patch. You can use the Cali Q Graphic block for final tone shaping. See below for recommended settings.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If you have higher output humbuckers, you might want to turn down the gain on the amp(s), or, alternatively, turn down the output on the first compressor – this will hit the amp(s) with less signal.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR SINGLE COILS:
The version of this patch you initially download is voiced more toward single coils. We built it primarily using a Telecaster style guitar. If you have a humbucker equipped guitar with low-output humbuckers, it should be perfect for your uses too.
Feel free to adjust the amp EQ and the settings of the Cali Q Graphic block (at the end of the patch) if you’d like to make the patch a bit brighter or darker.
RECOMMENDED SETTINGS FOR HUMBUCKERS:
If your guitar has traditional output Humbuckers, try the following changes (we recommend making a copy of the original patch)…
- Gain: change to 4.3
- Bass: Change to 2.3
- Cut: Change to 1.7
- Treble: Change to 7.7
- Presence: Change to 6.8
Cali Q Graphic block settings:
- 2200 Hz Slider: change to +3.0
- 6600 Hz Slider: change to +2.5
Initial Release (1.0): 2019-11-08