- UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your AX8. and make sure to use the latest version of AX8-EDIT before installing this preset. This preset was created with AX8 FW 10.01.
- EVERYTHING IS STOCK: This preset does not use third party IR’s. If you’d like to experiment with 3rd party IR’s, feel free to do so in the cab block.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Here is the signal flow and effects:
- Input (the Input Noise Gate is turned off to save CPU).
- X State: Studio Comp: less pronounced, general use comp.
- Y State: Not used
- Chorus – Dimension 1 (same for X and Y)
- Drive 1 – First stage OD
- X State: FET Boost
- Y State: Not used
- Drive 2 – Second Stage OD
- X State: TS808 MOD: Tube Screamer
- Y State: Not used
- Amp: Boutique 1 (Matchless Cheiftain)
- X State: Voiced for single coils
- Y State: Voiced for humbuckers
- Control Switch 1 (Mapped to FS4): Increases gain for amp gain OD – stacks great with the drives.
- Cab: F149: 4×12 Trad V60 Full (OH)
- Delay 1
- X State: Mono Tape – set to 1/4 note delay
- Y State: Mono Tape – Set to 1/8 delay, with more modulation
- Delay 2
- X State: Deluxe Mind Guy – set to dotted 8th delay – pretty prominent with modulation
- Y State: Vintage Digital – Dual delay for swells – very washy with lots of repeats
- X State: Rec Studio C – set to be more subtle ‘always on’ type of verb
- Y State: Deep Space – Big huge modulated verb
The foot-switches in this path control scenes. FS 4 is set to the control switch, which will increase the gain of the amp. This allows you to have more gain on tap at any given point (see notes below for suggested usage).
- Scene 1 (FS1): VS/CH1 – Clean tone
- Scene 2 (FS2): CH/Riff – Adds the FET boost for a rhythm tone. For every chorus after the first chorus, use CS1 (FS4) to add gain and make the lead line pop.
- Scene 3 (FS3): BRIDGE – This is the second stage drive – the main big rhythm tone.
- Foot-Switch 4: FS 4 is mapped to the control switch (CS1) which increases amp gain. Scene four is not used.
- Scene 5 (FS 5): INST – Clean tone with chorus for the instrumental section
- Scene 6: INST/BR BUILD – Same as the INST tone but with stage 1 drive.
- Scene 7: NOT USED
- Scene 8 (FS8): SWELLS – Turns on Delay 2 (Y state) – you get a really ambient tone which works great for swells.
By default, this preset is laid out with scenes mapped to the foot switches, except for FS 4, which is the control switch.
CONTROL SWITCH 1 (FS 4)
FS 4 will engage CS 1 at any time, which allows you to get more gain in any scene.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PRESET UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
To adjust the preset for your guitars, the primary controls to adjust would be:
- Input Trim (amp block – basic). Because the ‘Input Drive’ is mapped to CS1, input trim is an alternate way to increase or decrease the overall level of gain on the amp. You can alternatively adjust the ‘Min’ and ‘Max’ values of the Control Switch 1 modifier to set the on/off values of the Input Drive.
- EQ settings (amp block – basic). Once the desired gain staging is set, the next adjustment would be the amp EQ settings.
- GEQ settings (amp block). The Graphic EQ on the amp block is a great way to make final EQ adjustments. We’ve set it to ‘Post P.A.’, which means the EQ settings will not be affected by the Power Amp section.
ADJUSTING THE OVERALL LEVEL OF THE PRESET
The AX8 offers a very useful tool to check overall level of individual presets. Press the “Page >” button until you see the ‘VU’ tab on the main screen. This will give you a level read-out.
We’ve set this preset up so that the loudest settings peak around 0db (or slightly above). This is recommended in the AX8 manual. If you’d like to adjust the level up or down (to match it with other presets), we recommend adjusting one of the following:
- Level (amp block – basic). This will adjust the overall level of the preset up/down. Avoid using the ‘Master Volume’ control, as this will change the tone of the amp.
- Level (cab block). This will also adjust the overall level of the preset up/down.
There are no reviews yet.