ARTIST SERIES PATCH
This patch re-creates the sounds made popular by Nigel Hendroff of Hillsong Church (Hillsong Worship). We built it out based on a number of references to Nigel’s board and amps. We feel this patch sounds great on just about any Hillsong Worship song, and works with a wide variety of different guitars and pickup types. The two amps in this patch are panned stereo, which creates a unique sound.
1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. IR CABS INCLUDED: This download includes two premium IR Cabs from our Blue AC 2×12 pack. We matched these specific IRs to this amp, but feel free to experiment with other IR’s for different tonal options. We’ve also included a stock cab version of the patch, but we urge to try the IRs – it really does sound better – and it’s included for free :).
Here are the IR’s included:
- WT Blue AC 2×12 57 (top row)
- WTMatch G12H30 121 (bottom row)
With Firmware 2.90, Helix should recall the IR based on its name rather than slot number, so it shouldn’t matter which slot you import the IR into. To purchase additional IR packs, visit Worship Tutorials.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
- Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
- In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
- To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into an open slot.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
- Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
- Teemah – Timmy OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘Timmy’
- Heir Apparent – KOT OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT’ (this replaces the Plexi preamp in the previous versions of this patch – we feel like it works better for that sound of drive
- Scream 808 – Tube Screamer OD – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
- Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
- Transistor Tape Delay – 1/8 note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8 Tape’
- Dual Delay – Dual stereo delay (1/4 + 1/8d) – mapped to switch labeled Dual ST DLY
- Plate verb – subtle ‘always on’ type reverb – mapped to switch labeled “Plate Verb’
- Transistor Tape – Dotted 8th note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8d Tape’
- Searchlights Verb – mapped to switch labeled ‘Swells Verb ’
- Amps – AC30 Fawn Nrm, Matchstick Ch1
- IR/Stock cabs
- Octo Verb – Mapped to switch labeled ‘Shimmer’
- Glitz Verb – big modulated verb – mapped to switch labeled “Glitz Verb’
- Gain – this gives you a pure volume boost for solos.
This patch is meant to be used in stompbox mode or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps. The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
The amps are panned hard Left and Right, which gives you a unique (and huge) tone if you are able to run stereo. Many of the wet effects run into the front of the amps.
Feel free to stack drive pedals for bigger sounds.
The 1/8th note delay will get a bit washy and works well for a more ambient tone without the use of bigger reverb sounds. Use the 1/8 Tape and 1/8d Tape together for more ambient sounds as well.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds. They are:
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. Clean tone.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE+: Bigger overdrive.
- Snapshot 4: LEAD: Big drive with boost, delay, and verb.
- Snapshot 5: CLEAN AMBI – Ambient clean tone.
- Snapshot 6: DRIVE AMBI – Ambient version of the DRIVE snap.
- Snapshot 7: NGL TRL – This is a huge ambient lead type of sound – if you trill pick with it you get the sound that Nigel uses a lot for lead lines (think ‘I Surrender’).
- Snapshot 8: SWELLS – this uses the ‘Swells’ stomp button plus more verb and delay.
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
We’ve included both single coil and humbucker voiced patches to serve as starting points for your guitars. To make adjustments, we recommend starting with these parameters:
- Amp Gain: Adjust the min/max values of the amp gain so that your guitar is slightly breaking up with big chords on the bridge position (without any drive pedals on)
- Amp EQ controls: Adjust these to suite your individual guitars/taste
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
CURRENT VERSION: 2.0 (released 10/22/2018)
Version 4.0: Dec 11, 2020
- Added: Premium Worship Tutorials IR cabs
- Changed: Amp settings (better tone, amps are panned in stereo now)
- Changed: Drive settings (better tone)
- Changed: Reverb and delay settings (better tone)
Version 3.0: Updated November 12, 2018
- Added: Tone Junkie premium IR
- Tweaked: Improved amp, drive, and EQ section settings
Version 2.0: Updated November 12, 2018
- Tweaked: Amp settings (better tone)
- Tweaked: Improved drive section settings
- Added: Improved swells/ambient section
- Added: Better stereo imaging for effects
- Added: End of chain EQ – improved tone and tweaking for different guitars
- Added: Recommended settings for humbucker and single coil equipped guitars (via the ReadMe notes)
Version 1.1: Updated 07/06/2018
- Fixed: Reverb levels to compensate for Firmware 2.6
- Fixed: Overall volume levels to accomodate for ‘Unity Gain’ (turning the big volume knob all the way up)
Version 1: Initial Release: 03/13/18
Updates are free and delivered via email. If you have an older version of this patch and have not received updates via email, please send us a support email and we’ll get the updated patch files to you.